Sunday, September 03, 2006

Small World Department #532

Yesterday, while lying on my bed going through the phone book on my cell phone, I came across Ben Bennett's name and realized I hadn't told him Kristin is expecting. I gave him a call and we chatted for a few minutes. Turns out he is seeing someone who lives in Los Angeles but is here visiting D.C. for the weekend. They didn't have plans for tonight, so we had them over for dinner. On the phone Ben told us her name is Sarah Spendlove.

Since last night, Kristin and I have been wracking our brains, trying to figure out from where we knew that name. I was picturing a blond-haired girl from my on-campus ward; Kristin, a girl with brown hair from our off-campus ward. We kept turning to each other at random points today, trying to prod the other's memory to no avail. By the time the door bell rang we weren't sure who was coming.

Then I opened the front door. I looked at Sarah, recognized her 100%, and yelled up the stairs to Kristin, "You where right, brown hair!" Sarah, Kristin, and I knew each other from the Fall '98 to Spring '99 school year. I invited Sarah and Ben in and, as we walked upstairs, told Sarah, who was having a hard time remembering me but remembered Kristin, that we even had a photo with Sarah in it. Kristin quickly found the following photo, taken in May of 1999. Pictured are Aubrey Packard, Kristin, Sarah Spendlove, Amy Parkin, and Randi Johanson. Sarah seems to recall that Randi and Aubrey were here visiting teachers. Sarah, Kristin and I were in the same FHE group.

Sarah and Ben have been dating for a little while. We passed the evening reminiscing, getting reacquainted, and generally having a good time.

And there you have Entry #532 into the records of the Small World Department.

Labels: