Alternate title: Why do my children hate me?
Well, more accurately, why does the unborn child hate me? I'm 38 weeks today and she was supposed to be here by now. When I started having problems with blood pressure about six weeks ago the specialist I initially saw hoped we would make it to full-term (37 weeks) without my developing preeclampsia. Check. The plan was then to do another ultrasound and amniocentesis at 37+ weeks to determine whether or not baby's lungs were developed enough to go ahead with an induction to prevent the onset of preeclampsia. Amnio: check. Lungs: not so much.
I had the ultrasound and amnio this past Monday, and the amnio results came back in a marginal range, meaning that more than likely she would be just fine if she were to be delivered, but they were not high enough for them to say that with certainty. Since I'm not yet in a situation where delivery is absolutely crucial, we have to wait. Let me tell you, not the news this pregnant lady really wanted to hear, but what can you do?
Well, on Thursday everything just got even better. In addition to high blood pressure and a large-ish baby (at 37 1/2 weeks she was measuring at about 8 1/2 pounds), I have also been dealing with polyhydramnios, meaning I have too much amniotic fluid. All the extra fluid gives baby ample room to move, and during a routine ultrasound (I have short ones twice a week along with the non-stress tests) we found that she has flipped to breech yet again. She had stayed head down for nearly 4 weeks, so I was confident that we had left that particular hurdle behind. Not so, it would seem.
During my weekly OB appointment we discussed what course we'll be taking now, and the breech position complicates things. Assuming that I don't develop symptoms of preeclampsia over the weekend, we just wait. Nothing is set in stone, but if she flips back on her own by mid-to-late week we'll probably go ahead and induce while she's in a good position. If she doesn't flip, then by the end of the week (or maybe the beginning of the following week) they would try to turn her and immediately induce before she has the chance to turn again. And of course, if that fails, then it's off to experience the joys of a c-section. I can't wait to find out what that recovery would be like while trying to care for a newborn and a toddler on my own.
I have to admit, when the nurse who performed the ultrasound on Thursday told me that the baby's head was back under my left rib cage, I immediately informed her that this baby is already losing the favorite child contest. Maybe if she's really, really good and is head down again on Tuesday I'll change my mind.
Labels: Baby #2