Sandra Leigh and Johnny B.'s
Today I attended the funeral for Sandra Leigh Sciranko. Sandi worked as one of the sales reps selling recruitment advertising for The Washington Post. We worked together for two years. She lost her battle with cancer one week ago today. She was 51 years old.
The funeral was held in La Plata, MD, about 45 minutes from my office. The sanctuary of the church was packed - they even brought in folding chairs to line the sides of the room. Her brother, brother-in-law, and two friends spoke. It was a very moving service with some very heart wrenching and comical stories told. I respected Sandi's skills as a sales reps - she could sell better than most on the team; her love and dedication to her family, including a special needs daughter, 17 years old; and her character as a good friend. Sandi deserved the send-off that was given her. She will be missed.
After the funeral, a group of us headed a little farther down the road to Johnny Boy's Ribs. Having been tipped off by a member of the sales team who used to eat there after little league games as a child, Johnny Boy's is *literally* a shack on the side of Route 301. A restaurant sits across the parking lot from the shack, however as we walked towards the restaurant a woman sitting outside the restaurant pointed to the shack and said, "Go over there." So we walked up to the window and ordered. Pork and beef, sliced and minced, ribs, and chicken make up the menu. I ordered a minced (pulled) pork sandwich with cole slaw and potato salad on the side. As regulars of my dietary escapades know, I love me some barbeque. And this was probably the best barbeque I've ever had. The sandwich was so flavorful that I almost went and purchased a second. The cole slaw was sweet and a little watery, perfect for my palate. The potato salad wasn't all that. As my co-worker Phil put it, "It's a little Giant-y." (Giant being a local grocery store.) Another co-worker ordered fries with his chicken. They were some of the most amazing fries I have ever had. I definitely need to head out that way again. Anyone up to the trip?
As we sat down to eat, John, another member of the sales team, raised his glass and said, "To Sandi." "To Sandi" was the reply.
Labels: food

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home