Friday, April 27, 2007

Ms. Clara Goes to Fairfax

Tonight we went to the Stake Youth Dance Festival. Each Ward's youth prepared an up-to-10-minute number set to music from a Broadway musical. Our Ward's contribution, Thoroughly Modern Millie, was a crowd favorite - I feel - based on the fact that our youth were clearly enjoying themselves on stage. The choreography was brilliant. You haven't lived until you've heard an early-forty-something accountant belt out, while demonstrating the steps, "Charleston, Charleston, lay it out, lay it out. Now Fosse! Fosse!" They really put on an amazing show.

The cultural hall was pretty warm, so I was out in the foyer at one point and ran into Natalie. Natalie is the older sister of Carrie, who had a baby at the same hosptial the day Clara was born. I first met Natalie when I moved back to D.C. in 1999. As I approached her to see her new baby she said, "I love your blog!" We then set out to figure what brought her to this little corner of the internet and settled on a link from Heidi's blog. I love it when people find my/our blog.

It was a beautiful night, so Kristin and I drove home with the windows down. Kristin and you drove, you say? Where was Clara? I'm glad you asked!

Clara had a play date tonight. Hal and Kathy live in our Ward. Both Kristin and I have had various interactions with Hal and Kathy over the years. When I was the CTR 6 teacher in Primary, Kathy taught CTR 5. Also, Hal and I were home teaching companions for a while. They are incredibly pleasant people and Hal has one of the best senses of humor I've ever encountered. If you don't listen closely, you're apt to many a hilarious comment delivered in a very dry and understated style.

When Clara was born, Kathy sent an e-mail detailing their qualifications and requesting surrogate Grandparent status for both Hal and her. It was quite a composition! A few Sundays ago, Kathy asked when Clara would be coming over for a visit, and we decided the night of the Dance Festival would be perfect. The sheets on the crib at their house were changed, the toys were brought out, and we packed a bag of Clara stuff for the evening. Clara has been out of sorts for the past few weeks. Just as she was getting over her jet lag from the Portland trip, she had a doctor's appointment and received five shots. It's kept her off-kilter this past week. When we dropped Clara off, Kathy assured us that, in spite of the cranky pants Clara was obviously wearing, everyone would have a wonderful time.

When we came to pick Clara up a few hours later, Clara was in Hal's arms looking as content as could be. When Clara caught sight of us, she let out a quick cry, then settled back down. It looks like our little girl is starting to recognize her parents! We stayed and chatted a while, thanking them profusely for the night out, and promising them the next time Clara came for a visit she would be a better-adjusted girl.

Labels:

1 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Heidi Totten said...

oooh! Natalie who?!

I'm glad Clara had a fun playdate. I seem to recall that our very first non-family babysitters for Josh were the two of you at probably fairly close to the same age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home