I swear I still don't like the Beatles
I was reading the true news source on the bus yesterday, and happened upon a column titled "It Was 40 Years Ago Today". It was in the Opinions section, a section I usually shy away from as it tends to be full of postulating, pompous people. The title hooked me, so I read the column. It ended up being about the Beatles.
Let's get one thing straight: I hate the Beatles. Maybe it is the whole non-conformity thing from my teenage years - everyone else liked them so I had to be different - or maybe it is because they were blown to such proportions or maybe I hated their hair. Regardless, I've always shied away from them and their music.
ASIDE: This almost cost me a friendship in college. I mentioned my lack of love for the Beatles to Randi, who then promptly invited me to visit Lucifer, in no uncertain terms. Luckily, we were able to work out such differences. END OF ASIDE.
For whatever reason, I read the entire column. Halfway through I stumbled across a line that elevated the author to the highest levels of esteem, nay to the stratosphere:
The Beatles incorporated classical elements into rock so seamlessly that it is easy to forget that string quartets and Bach-like countermelodies and bass lines (not to mention plagal cadences) did not always populate pop.For those not in the know, a plagal cadence is a chordal progression from the IV chord in a given key or mode to the I or root chord of that same key or mode. The plagal cadence is also the progression used for the "Amen" at the end of a doxology. I love adding a plagal cadence to the end of a hymn.
So, for that reason, I feel you should all go read the article. Won't take you but a few moments of time, but now as you read you'll be able to say, "Ahh, the plagal cadence. I know what that is!"
For the record, I still hate the Beatles. And if you want to talk about someone who rocks, let's discuss John Denver, whose Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits I'm currently listening to.

4 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Sorry to hear you're still a moron. For the record, the rage I feel about that Beatles comment you made so many years ago will burn eternally. There is no forgiveness in this life, nor in the life to come.
You know Oliver, I know how you feel...only for me, it's Elvis. I absolutely despise Elvis. Maybe it's rebelling against the norm, but I can't stand his music. For the record, I was raised a Beatles fan, every family vacation featured long hours of singing along to the Beatles, and every decade or so, I find another Beatles song to love. The fact is...whether you like them or not the Beatles and Elvis are intertwined throughout all the music today. From Guster and They Might Be Giants to even U2 (which, btw, I absolutely hate) and any other pop band you can name, the Beatles and Elvis pioneered pop music and the thematic elements of their music are undeniably present in the pop we listen to today.
BTW, I don't understand why, given your repretoire of musical knowledge, you don't at least like the Beatle's incredible "A Day In The Life"
One more BTW...I'm Staci's husband (smithschronicles.blogspot.com)
Brian, I have decided that you are supremely cool. I'm over U2.
Wow, I've never been supremely cool. Anyone who's ever lived in Utah will suffer from U2 nausea...it's a side effect I've discovered.
Post a Comment
<< Home