Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Lobsterfest 2007 (Updated with photos)

I have a coworker named Rob. Rob has been my coworker for over seven years. Rob lives in Maine. Rob telecommutes from Maine. Except for the one week a month that he comes down to the DC office. Rob has a very unique sense of humor. I'm rather fond of Rob.

One of the benefits of having a coworker who lives in Maine is that he can bring fresh lobster when he comes to visit. It is with fond memories I recall the first time, three years or so ago, that he came bearing gifts of crustacean goodness. He brought four lobster, one each for the three members of our team and one for Kristin. Kristin and I had Rob and our teammate, Jen, over and we cooked and ate the lobster. Two highlights of the evening were Kristin freaking out over the fact that something had now died in her kitchen and Jen getting a lobster tail stuck on her finger. In the recounting of the latter event, I must confess that I tend to embellish on Jen's flailing motions, lobster juice flying everywhere, and a huge chef's knife employed to free her finger. Even taking all this into account we had a wonderful time.

Last summer our technical manager, Dove, was gracious enough to open her house to our our tech, design, and product teams and Lobsterfest was born. As this summer approached, we decided that, as we had so much fun last year, we had to have a Lobsterfest 2007. Dove once again offered up her house and last night was the night. What a party it was.

Highlights of the evening:
  • Appetizers on the deck with drinks, a fun herb dip purchased from a local vendor at a farmer's market, and Trader Joe's artichoke dip
  • Dinner in one of the best kept gardens in the county
  • Tim taking pictures of Oliver serving each person their lobster
  • Getting to see new mother-of-twins Holly, who is currently on maternity leave
  • The picture of Oliver dropping Dove's lobster (see below)
  • The grilled vegetables, strawberry and goat cheese salad, and tomatoes and mozzarella Dove served as side dishes
  • Hearing about the time she-who-will-not-be-named mistakenly sent her boss an instant message, intended for a friend, complaining about her boss
  • Eating dirt for dessert
  • Chatting under the stars until 11:00p with good company
Thanks to all who made Lobsterfest 2007 a success. Until next year, check out the pictures below and be jealous.


Meredith's lobster attacking her as Jen signals her approval


OOPS! Dropping Dove's lobster


Rob being shocked by either Oliver or the lobster. Who can tell?

Labels:

1 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Jarmusz said...

One funny story story about oliver and our first live lobster dinner. Oliver asked as he was popping the lobster into the boiling pot of water if he should take off the rubber bands around the claw. Of course, I took advantage of this and told him that you definately need to take them off. Right before he snipped them with scissors I told him that I was kidding.

Well, several months ago we had a lobstering family over to our house. Right before we were going to cook the lobster they asked if I was going to take off the rubber bands. Of course I laugh and told them I heard that joke before. But, they were not laughing. It turns out that mainers really do pull off the rubber bands with their hands before boiling them so as not to get any rubbery taste during cooking. Go figure. Oliver was right after all! Oh well, at least we had a laugh then but I can no longer tell that joke anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home