Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
A few weeks ago the talks in Sacrament Meeting were on keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Today I did a terrible job of keeping the Sabbath Day holy.
At church today a friend mentioned that they might stop by that afternoon to visit. The first two stories of the house were in shambles, groceries still in the car from yesterday, areas that hadn't been picked up in weeks, the dishes in desperate need of cleaning, the family room "Clara-ed". When Kristin went upstairs to give Clara a nap around 12:30pm I set to work.
For half an hour I tackled the first floor. Dusting, straightening up all the unused baby items we've regaled to the "baby stuff graveyard", cleaning up shoes, and taking CostCo-sized boxes of diapers, boxes of wipes, and pallets of water bottles upstairs. Then came half an hour of Zelda. One must not overdo it.
Then two hours of dishes, cleaning the kitchen counters by removing everything from them (hello items lurking behind the toaster), dusting, cleaning up the family room. Cleaning is such a wonderful activity because you get to see the results of your labor. The only thing that could have made it better would be to have perpendicular lines in the carpet. Alas, Clara was sleeping.
After the two-hour stretch, I settled down for a half hour of Zelda. As I was turning off the game, my girls came downstairs. I was so proud of my work that I forced Kristin to tour the first two levels with me. I'm so glad I found someone who is willing to humor me.

2 Comments: (Post a Comment)
I seem to remember one night when we were hanging out at your pad that we were lying on the floor on the middle level and you said, "This floor is horrible." and got up and vacuumed. I don't know why it is relevant to this post except it seems like it should be.
Oliver the Nazi-vacuum man. I love it.
You should have seen how I broke the Sabbath on that day. We got home from church and opened boxes and organized the house for 4 hours. Then I took three car loads of things from our old apartment to our new house and cleaned our old apartment. Not my finest hour in Sabbath day observance. I had to have put in a good 9 to 10 hours of work.
Post a Comment
<< Home