Sunday, August 12, 2007

Gone for now

My parents were in town almost a week and yet, due to two days of wedding and my having to work a few days, we didn't get a ton of time to just sit down and talk. To remedy this, I asked my Mom to ride with me as we drove into the city to drop my uncle’s car off at his house, then to head to Union Station to drop my parents off for their train ride up to Philly.

It ended up being a delightful forty-five minute drive up to my uncle's house, and Mom and I chatted about recent news items, newspapers (she lamented the poor state of journalism where they are now living and requested that we stop and pick up a Sunday Post on our way out), and a little of this and that. It was fun to have some one-on-one time. It reminded me of quiet afternoons in our house growing up. Mom loved playing board and card games with us, the children, from Quinto to Skip-Bo to Tri-Ominos to Rook to Mille Borne. She never went easy on us; on the contrary she is always a fierce competitor. I can proudly say that I've trounced her in Quinto many, many times. It helps her develop humility.

The drive from my uncle's house to Union Station took us through parts of the city I'd never visited. Dad joined in our conversation and quickly we were at Union Station, with construction going on, causing us to have to do an abbreviated drop and farewell. As I drove away I was sad that the good-bye was so short, that I didn't get a chance to give them a little more grief before sending them on their way.

At least I know that they will return. With a little one as cute as Clara those grandparents just can't keep away.

Labels: