Getting My Head Shot
"You look annoyed."
I heard that no less than thirty times today. Whitney, a girl from our photo department, is taking my headshot. I need one for a speaking engagement next month. We are in the photo studio, I'm on a stool, turned way to one side, two lights are set up, all the other lights are off, and SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! Whitney takes pictures.
"Too bright."
It takes a while to adjust the two light sources, but eventually she gets an exposure level she is happy with. And now I have to smile, not look weird, and sit up straight.
"Annoyed again."
After a bunch of pictures she tells me to come look at what she's taken. I turn my body the other direction, start sitting up straighter, smile a little more than I was. Flash. Flash. Flash.
"That was a good one. That one was annoyed. That one was good."
After over twenty minutes we decide we have one that will work. I thank her and walk out of the studio. After sitting in low light for so long, the sunny fall day startles me. For a moment, the world looks a brighter place. Then my eyes readjust.
I guess I have an annoyed resting face.
Let me know which one you like best.

8 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Though there seems to be only two sets of shots, the middle top row smiling Oliver is "my" Oliver. What I really said out loud when first viewing it was "That's my Oliver." What is the speaking engagement??? Love you, Mom
Bottom middle.
Quite the sophisticated serious look!
I like the gradient background of it.
But how can one argue with Mom?
I'm with Aaron--bottom middle. The shadows are nice; you don't see many shadows in head shots.
I also like the first and the last on the top row. I like the off-centered position. Those three are just asking/begging for a "speach-bubble" to be put in the dead space.
The last on looks like a picture that you could use for a year book or a conference presentation.
Well at least you don't have an angry resting face! I've had teachers/professors tell me before that I looked like I was glaring at them while listening! Not my favorite thing.
I agree with the two others--I like the bottom middle.
Becky - glad someone caught the reference!
Normally I'm all about smiles showing teeth, but I'm kinda leaning towards your serious shots...You look very grown-up and a bit mysterious -- cool! So, I go back and forth, the open, grinning Oliver vs. mysterious, "I-am-a-busy-man-so-you're-lucky-I'm-here" Oliver.
I'd say bottom middle, but only because it looks the least like a traditional headshot. I like the lighting and the fact that it is off center. Definitely more sophisticated than the others. :-)
Bottom center. None of them are "Oliver".
Post a Comment
<< Home