Thursday, October 25, 2007

Climb Every Mountain (UPDATED)

For the past few weeks the family room couches have been Clara's favorite place to play. She'll sometimes just stand next to one of them and whine until one of us lifts her up onto the seat. And on occasion she would attempt to use me as a stepstool to get herself up instead. Once on the couch she can play for minutes (the ten-month-old equivalent of hours) before attempting to get off by sliding down headfirst.

Yesterday our world changed dramatically.

Clara and I were sitting playing with blocks on the floor when she spotted the TV remote on the couch. She crawled over, stood up, threw her right leg up onto the couch, and climbed right on up. I pulled her down and let her try again. Same results. Later in the afternoon I tried to get it on video, but a cranky baby is less willing to try and try again before melting down. So instead I have video of Clara standing with her head buried in the couch cushions, sobbing after one unsuccessful attempt.

And we arrive at this morning. I left Clara in the family room to play with her toys while I made her breakfast. After about two minutes I heard a strange noise and looked out to see what was going on. There she was, lounging on the couch, watching TV. I tried to get a picture, but as soon as she saw me she stood up and started laughing.

It seems like Clara is determined not to let us get comfortable with her level of mobility before she makes the next leap. Tomorrow...walking??

UPDATE: Now with video!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Sally said...

Loved the post, as did Grma and Grpa Wilson. Love the video. Love the fact that she is and hopefully will continue to live up to her middle name. Grandma Christensen

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Sara said...

You do realize that by clapping and encouraging her your couches (and anything else she can climb on) are never safe again, right? Hee hee :)

She is ADORABLE! Every time I see her I think "aww, and I held her before she was even a day old." I can't believe how big she is getting.

Loved the video!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Becky J. said...

I can't believe that she can do that! Sophie's never even attempted it, though she's quite adept at going off of it head first. What an amazingly talented little girl.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Timberly said...

So adorable. Now she will be all over everything. The next step is jumping off.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Mom/Debbie Lou said...

I'm getting so anxious to see all of you! The countdown begins- 18 days.

Love, Mom/Debbie Lou/Clara

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You go Girl!! Give your parents a run for their money. Don't call your cousin Chase, cause he will give you crazy ideas, like climbing onto the house when you are two.
We love you lot's. Keep enjoying every moment. Love Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home