Monday, August 18, 2008

Making Faces

Tonight Clara and I were cuddling on the couch when she started giving me dirty looks. Clara definitely inherited "The Look" gene from Jeff, Kristin's father. In Kristin's family, Jeff's Look has a lore of its own. You can sit down with any of his three daughters and ask about The Look and they will pull stories from their childhood, including "do you remember the first time you got the look?" stories.

As I said, Clara has inherited this gene. Her first trick was rolling her eyes. She started this when she was about nine months old. Lacking the control to do a proper eye-roll, she would look at you, look up at the ceiling, then look back. I'm chuckling just thinking about it. We were never able to capture this on video, but would collapse into fits of laughter each time she "rolled" her eyes at us. The fact that this was one of her first complex expressions gives terrifying insight into her psyche and personality.

So, when she started making faces tonight I yelled to Kristin to bring the camera and we were able to capture it on film. The first picture below is from when I was tickling her with a Koosh ball. The second picture is the traditional Look featuring the knitted eyebrows. The third is a modified version, featuring the appalled mouth. Enjoy!



Who said anything about a strong will?

Labels:

8 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Wow!
My laughter increased in loudness each time I scrolled down the page. I'm still laughing now and I'm not even looking at the pics.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Sometimes "the look" is referred to as "the evil eye," especially demonstrated by this little guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbg0ktgNuWE

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Lisa Michelle said...

These pics are so cute - I can't believe how big Clara is now! We can't wait to see her - and you and Kristin - soon!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Sally said...

I love the first picture especially. They are all great. Mom

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Mom/Debbie Lou said...

Clara also inherited "The Look" gene from her Grandpa Jim. Just ask Valerie and Nancy about "The Look." What a cutie! Love, Mom/Debbie Lou/Oma

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

She is so much like Samara it's crazy! You can't help but laugh when you look at these faces.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Julia said...

The first face is Clara charming you into the keys for the car. The second face is Clara finding out that you are using the car instead. The third face is Clara being told she has to be sixteen and have a license to drive. Good luck? You need it.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger fiona said...

These pictures are great! She is so expressive! There is nothing more entertaining than a toddler (or two).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home