Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mammals & Metal

Today the four of us trekked downtown to visit some of the monuments and museums on the National Mall. We started at the Museum of Natural History where we took the obligatory picture with the elephant. Tradition dictates that such a picture must be taken standing in front of his back side. I think we look stunning. We also visited the Hall of Mammals. Probably one of the better exhibits at the museum, the hall features 274 taxidermied animals in realistic poses, even one where some lionesses are taking down a water buffalo type animal. Very cool.

My parents had never been to the Sackler so we crossed the mall, cut through the castle, and ended up in the Sackler gallery. I really enjoy the exhibit of Islamic metalworking; every time we visit the gallery we stop by. I took a bunch of pictures that I've included at the bottom of this post. My mom was interested in the arts of China exhibit which was a little crowded with high school students trying to fill out a questionnaire the teachers had set them to. I was quite glad when they finally left.

The only thing I was upset about is the opening of the new exhibit on Bibles pre 100 (more info here). It opens in three days. Just *barely* missed it. We'll be sure to post after we visit.

As promised, the pictures:
Incense burner
Egypt or Syria, 1294-1340
Beaten brass, inlaid with gold, silver, and a black compound

Bowls
Egypt or Syria, 1346-61
Beaten brass, inlaid with gold, silver, and a black compound

Kaaba Keys
Present-day Saudi Arabia, probably Mecca, second half of the 13th century
Cast alloy or steel, inlaid with silver

Ewer
Iraq, first half of the 13th century