Saturday, June 16, 2007

Blogging from Downtown Philly

11:30a - we arrive in downtown Philly. Our car is running out of gas, so Kristin and I spend 40 minutes finding a gas station. First, we ask three city workers for directions. They give us decent directions, however a lack of street signs renders them useless. Google Maps to the rescue. Station #1 is closed on Saturdays. Station #2 isn't. After two trips through Chinatown, we know downtown Philly like the backs of our hand.

1:15p - lunching on the Independence Mall. A gorgeous afternoon for a picnic.
1:30p - sitting on the grass of the Independence Mall, Delaney sees a pigeon. "Look. Look. Elmo birdie." Quite the budding ornithologist.

2:02p - while waiting in line to see the Liberty Bell, a horse-drawn carriage driver recommends Benny's on the corner of 5th & Chestnut for cheesesteaks. Actually, his first recommendation was his parents' house in Germantown.

2:21p - inside the Liberty Bell exhibit I find a little corner to change a stinky diaper. Afterwards a park service man comes up to me and says, "Technically we're not supposed to do that here, but I didn't want to stop you mid-ahem-stream. Pun intended." A perfectly pleasant gentleman.

2:45p - an hour after we first started trying to get her to take a bottle - you'd think that gnawing on her stroller straps, the body parts of various cousins, parents, and an aunt and an uncle, combined with not having eaten in five hours, would indicate hunger - we finally got her to calm down and take her bottle. We are seated in the shade of century-old trees in the park behind Independence Hall. The sun filters through leaves overhead, a nice breeze blows, and the temperature is quite comfortable. I might follow Clara's lead and take a nap.

3:00p - The bell in the tower of Independence Hall just chimed thrice. She startled awake! But a well placed father's hand on her cheek, and her mother's arms lulled her back to sleep.

3:04p - Bottle empty. "Well, she was obviously hungry because she ended up eating seven ounces all together," says mom.

3:12p - on our way to meet up with Branch 1, we passed a little shop, the Soho Cupcake Company. Ahhhh, cupcakes. I snapped the accompanying picture, and ran across the street to see if they were open. "Get me a bottle of water," Kristin called after me. Gleefully I ran up to the door and pulled firmly on the handle. Closed. But the sign says "Come in. We're open!" The second shop closed today. Peeking in the window I saw a display case full of tempting treats. Tempting me.

I don't remember who it was, but recently someone was mocking my statement that the cupcake is very in fashion these days. Actually, it was Mike, when I was helping load Dayna & Sara's moving truck last weekend. The cupcake is VERY much in vogue.

3:26p - we meet up with Branch 1 at Carpenters' Hall, which, in addition to being appropriately possessive, is on a quaint little street next to a military museum and a large park.

3:33p - Referring to Clara sleeping in her stroller: "This is a glorious feeling. She's asleep and I'm not holding her." "Should we set that thing up inside the house?"

3:37p - Clara just woke up. Sigh.

3:52p - Braden and I just snuck off to the Soho Cupcake Company. They were open. Don't know what the earlier 'psyche out' was all about. "You don't sell bottled water and you don't take plastic?" Empty-handed we left.

3:59p - passed two couples, just married, each with a photographer and a videographer in tow. Did our own little photoshoot.
4:20p - found the previously recommended Benny's. Cheesesteak here we come ... Hours of operation: 9am - 4pm. Sigh. We can't catch a break today.

4:35p - Cheesesteak from Ye Olde Cheesesteak Company. Boy do I love me some cheez wiz.

My Philly day is complete.

Labels:

2 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I so want to hear your commentary on the Liberty Bell exhibit ...

And the next time you go, the BEST Cheesesteaks in Philly are on South Street (the best place to find most restaurants in Philly) at a place called Jim's. Have you been to Ben's Chili Bowl in DC? Jim's is similar in atmosphere and notoriety. Highly recommend it. And they don't close at 4. :)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Twinkies said...

The best place to eat there is the convention center. Where you can choose between any kind of food. From greek to asian. The amish apple dumplings are the best in the world!! they're right out of the oven and covered with sweet cream. They also have a ton of chocolate shops to choose from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home