Monday, August 27, 2007

His Dark Materials

Today I finished Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I finished The Golden Compass on July 20th, The Subtle Knife a week later - with a break to read Deathly Hallows - then had to wait while for my hold at the library to get processed before I could read The Amber Spyglass. In between I read The Historian.

So when I returned to the trilogy, I had forgotten a few elements, but was interested to know how the story would wind up.

Someone, whose taste in books I admire, shared with me his feelings that the trilogy started out strong then steadily went downhill. I felt like Pullman did stretch the story a little thin at points in the third book, but that he generally held it together for all three books. I don't feel like any one stands out above the others. Nor do I feel that the work was as amazing as all the quotes on the back covers suggest. They are good juvenile fantasy that could use with a little more "break you into this other world more gently" writing, and a little less self importance. I felt like the guy was trying a little too hard to be the next-great-thing.

The story is highly inventive, the Christian overtones delightfully wanton (made all the more interesting given that fact that he is an atheist), the description of various worlds engaging, and the characters quite likable. The cast of characters was a little large, and the character development spotty on a few notable instances. One character, Mrs. Coulter, seemed to have a come-to-Jesus moment between books two and three, but you were never quite sure if she really changed or if she was always scheming. Her character was a little too complex, given that she was a secondary character, albeit an important one.

A movie is scheduled for release this fall. Nicole Kidman is set to start as Mrs. Coulter. Though I think she is a PERFECT cast for the part, I hope they don't spend too much time on her story. Though she is important, especially in the first book, the story is about Lyra. Here's to hoping it's not a glorify-the-big-star project.

As I've talked to people about the books I've had all types of reactions. Would I recommend them? Yes. Do I think they are as good as C.S. Lewis or Tolkien? No. They are probably ruined for many people by the expectation being set too high. So go in with moderate expectations, and you'll have a great time.

Oh, and they did make me more and more curious about what the post-mortality experience will be like. I feel like I have a general sense, but the details of it. Will be fun to experience some day.

Labels: