Thursday, October 25, 2007

Waiting for the Google gods to IMAP my Gmail (UPDATED)

Yesterday Google dropped a little piece of news on us: Google is rolling out IMAP support to all Gmail accounts. (Check out the previous link for the announcement and this link for descriptions of IMAP, how to enable your Gmail account, and how to set up your mobile device or desktop program.)

This is BIG NEWS. Why you might ask? Because this may address my single complaint about Gmail: I can't apply labels on the run. I like to read my personal e-mail while on the bus and train. I can access my Gmail through the app I've downloaded to my BlackBerry or via the built in Web browser. You can read conversations, archive, delete, reply, forward, do everything EXCEPT apply labels. I am a heavy labels user. This has long been a frustration.

With IMAP, you can apply labels on the run.

Once I heard the news, I immediately logged into my Gmail account hoping to see this:
Instead, I saw this:Notice the lack of "/IMAP" after POP in my screen shot?

And now, I wait. Wait for the moment when the Google gods will flip a little switch and my gmail account will be IMAP-able.

I'm not very good at waiting.

UPDATE: I was getting more and more antsy, so I logged into Clara's e-mail address (she has one so she can author posts on the blog) and found that HER account was IMAPable. The injustice. So, I decided to test the waters. Turns out the waters are not so sweet.

The set-up was easy enough, I followed the instructions on Google, and was able to get Clara's Gmail account on my BlackBerry. However, the folder/label functionality, which is the whole reason I want to use Gmail IMAP, doesn't work! Also, every e-mail sent to Clara also shows up in my main inbox. I want segregation of messages. It did not do what I had hoped it would.

I found a post that confirms my suspicions: Gmail IMAP is not ready for BlackBerry. And the search for a tool that allows me to apply labels from my BlackBerry continues.

1 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 8:24 PM, Blogger foculbrown said...

Sorry to hear that you are still waiting. I had the new tab yesterday. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home