At The Park
While Kristin was getting ready this morning Clara and I went down to the park in our neighborhood. The park has a great play structure, wood mulch that Clara loves to throw, and outdoor deck chairs for the adults. On our way out, Clara fell down two steps, landing on her face. More shaken than injured, I picked her up crying and only wanting Mama. When it's bad, she always wants Mama.
After drying the tears, we left the house. I offered Clara a drink. She took a drink then tucked the cup under her arm. I offered to hold it for her, but she kept tight hold of it. I realized that she needed a security object. The cup was helping to calm her down after her fall.
It caused me to ponder the things I hold on to after a fall. Sometimes it is a grudge against the person who I perceive as culpable for my pain. Many times it is Kristin, who knows my "chill out" buttons. I have also used food, sleep, and music. And at times I turn to God. I think that part of overcoming the natural man involves relying less on the physical comforts and looking to God to provide that lasting source of comfort through His Spirit.
Clara eventually put down her cup and went over to a chain link ladder, attempting to climb it for the first time. I left my seat to show her how to get to the top, guiding her steps while letting her push and pull herself up. After going up once she made a noise and pointed to the chair in which I was previously sitting. I obliged and left her to tackle the ladder on her own, wishing she would hold on to me just a minute longer.
Labels: Clara

1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
I really enjoyed the food for thought and insights here. Thanks for sharing, Oliver. Love, Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home