Buying Moratoriums
I received an e-mail from Kristin last week. She started her Christmas shopping early (for obvious reasons) and wanted to let me know that the buying moratorium had begun. We have a deal that once one person starts their Christmas shopping a moratorium on all purchases for oneself is called to prevent the accidental purchasing of an item that the other has as a gift idea. This all started with Kristin's birthday a few years ago.
I always struggle with what to purchase Kristin for Christmas and birthdays. I like to get her something that she'll like and use, but is not too expensive. There is definitely a place for the $2000 pearls, but gifts that show creativity and attention to her likes and needs at the moment are oft times better received. One birthday I agonized for a month, consulted with her friends, and finally came up with the perfect gift: a set of make-up brushes. Our friend Paige gave me a lecture covering synthetic vs. natural, angled vs. straight, and the brand I should buy. Two weeks before her birthday Kristin is getting ready and pulls out ... wait for it ... wait for it ... a set of make-up brushes.
To prevent future occurrances anyone can call a buying moratorium whenever gifts are to be purchased. I asked my coworkers if any of them have a similar concept. Most looked at me like I was crazy, but Jen said, "Absolutely." I recommend the practice to all.

1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
That's a good idea! We haven't really run into that problem, ours is drawing a blank at Christmas/birthdays about what we would like or what to get the other person, so now we hafta keep a running gift idea list. You know, when you think of something randomly in April you put it on the list, then update as the year goes on. Totally common sense, but we never did it...
Post a Comment
<< Home