Blogging About Donut World
On our way back from lunch, we drove past Donut World. I had to get out to take pictures. You can see them down the left side of this post.
I love donuts. ASIDE: Jared has a friend, Aaron, who has named his blog The Forbidden Donut. I so should have come up with that name. Aaron did a great series on Christmas. Check it out. END_ASIDE. I have always loved donuts. I can't remember a time when I haven't had positive thoughts toward donuts. It is part of who I am. I have fond memories selling Krispy Kreme donuts door to door as a fundraiser for Boy Scouts. Krispy Kreme was truly my first donut love. As a teenager, my friends and I would often trek half way across the DC area to the Krispy Kreme factory on Route 1 for hot, fresh donuts. When I was in college, I composed a haiku:
Round, fried orbs of fat
Bathed in oil, baptized in sug'r
I'll have mine cream filled.
Bathed in oil, baptized in sug'r
I'll have mine cream filled.
I think every geeky college student goes through a haiku phase - you know, where you have whole conversations in non-rhyming 5/7/5? One late night at Denny's, I'm loathe to admit I ever ate there, we composed a haiku for the hostess. Sadly, I can't recall it. But I digress.
And Krispy Kreme will always be that first donut love. As time has passed, I have learned how to love other donuts. The Colossal Donuts at Shopper's, particularly the chocolate frosted-creme filled ones, are amazing. But it wasn't until my 20s that I discovered the joys of mom and pop donut shops. On a trip to Michigan to see my older brother Matthew, I found Dale's Donut Shop - founded the year I was born. Olin's bakery, near my brother Jared's house, is the source of breakfast when I go visit Boston. And in the case of Portland: Donut World.
When in high school, Kristin used to come here with friends, when they should have been attending class, to get a donut and coffee. She took me there on our first trip to Portland, knowing of my affinity for such places, and it's become half joke/half tradition that we have to go there each time we visit Portland. I'm fond of saying, each time we drive past, "Wow! Did you see? We just passed the home of THE donut. I wonder how he's doing?" Kristin never asks whether The Donut is male or female; please discuss in the comments section. And, as is often the case, Kristin is much less amused by that comment than I.
This trip, on Thursday morning, I went to Donut World and bought us a dozen donuts for breakfast. I ate eight and a half of the donuts on Thursday. I have powers that Voldemort knows not.
This post was brought to you buy Jared. Ask and ye shall receive.
Labels: Portland 2007



4 Comments: (Post a Comment)
8 and 1/2 is not Voldemort type powers. I have eaten that many in the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme before getting back on the road after 3 years with KK. 8 doughnuts in less than 5 minutes is not bad. But that probably is not on the level of he who must not be named.
Love the post. Obviously the doughnut cannot be male.
Is your first love really male?
Are you really postulating that a ... (edited for good taste.)
I'm staying way from the "Is a doughnut male or female?" discussion. These comments could come back to haunt me. :)
I forgot to tell you that I love how you have both an "aside" and a "digression".
Asides are expected among those of us who know you. (But not me. I am completely parenthetical.)
Oh my goodness! Imagine my surprise when I pulled up your blog and photos of our beloved Donut World stared back at me. Note to Oliver: I was one of Kristin's regular classmates for AP European Donut World History. If you and Oliver are ever in San Diego you must come to the Golden Donut. It is a mom and pop spot up the street from us and they are the best cake donuts ever. Crispy outsides with yummy firm cakey insides. On a completely different topic, Toby got invited to audition for the Vienna Philharmonic so we will go to Vienna next week. I shall have apple streudel. yum.
Post a Comment
<< Home