Blogging From Zion
We're here in Utah. Ahh, the good old SLC airport. As my friend John likes to say when referencing his trips to Utah to ski, "I'm going to Zion!" Well, we're here.
Flying in over Salt Lake City was an interesting experience. I, unexpectedly, felt the desire to stay for a visit. I felt pulled by wanting to see the parts of town where I spent time with my Grandmother and Grandfather, to visit my younger brother, Eric, in Logan, maybe to traipse down to Provo and see how things have changed at the Y, to buy a suit at Mr. Mac's. It's been a long five years since Kristin and I were last in Utah for my Grandmother's funeral.
There are a lot of people I'd like to see. One is Kelly, my mission companion who, together with his wife, lived with Kristin and I the first summer after Kristin and I married. I've yet to meet their daughter, Olivia, and son, JJ. I'd love to see my friend Laura, her husband Jason, and their son. I first met Laura in South America and have never met someone with such love for life.
But the thing I'd love to do most is take Clara to the Salt Lake City Cemetery to visit the grave of her great-grandmother and namesake, Clara Dean. Someday I wish to sit among the tombstones on the green slopes over looking the Great Salt Lake Valley, and tell her the stories of that great woman who had such an impact on my life that I decided to name my first child after her.

Clara taking in the sights at the Salt Lake City airport.

4 Comments: (Post a Comment)
So weird that you were 20 minutes away from me today! :) Have a great trip!
I am going to SLC for the first time in six years in two weeks - I cannot wait!
Have a great trip!
Great post. I love the idea of taking her to the cemetery. There is a lot of quite peace in a cemetery.
Take the time and take her one day, it will be worth the trip.
I love this picture of the two of you!
Post a Comment
<< Home