Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

Since we decided on no presents for Mother's Day and Father's Day, Clara and I decided to make Kristin breakfast in bed instead. I also took the early shift and let Kristin sleep in. Breakfast consisted of two types of quiche, sausage, and a zero calorie beverage*.

As it was going to be the only present, I'd spent the past couple of weeks trying to come up with something good for the card. I'd finally decided on "At least now you won't feel ridiculous standing up during Sacrament Meeting," referencing the fact that on Mother's Day in our congregation, at the end of the service, they ask all the women over eighteen to stand and the youth group passes out a small gift in honor of Mother's Day. Having lived one or two too many years without children, and wanting children during those years, Mother's Day finally wasn't going to be an uncomfortable reminder that there was something we wanted but didn't have.

So what does Kristin do? Thursday as we are driving somewhere she turns to me and says, "Bonnie and I were talking today and commenting on how we finally won't feel ridiculous standing up at the end of Sacrament Meeting." You've got to be kidding me. The EXACT same phrase. Exactly what I was going to write in the card. I told Kristin that she and Fiona are kill-joys and went about coming up with something new for the card.

I eventually came up with something and even Clara signed the card (read stick pen in hand and let her move it around a bit). Kristin enjoyed the breakfast and getting to sleep in. A small gift for a woman who is such an incredible mother. Happy day my lovey love.

*Note that Kristin refuses to drink her points. For this reason, juice, full sugar sodas, and milk are never consumed by my dearest. Actually, never milk because she hates the stuff.