Just Me and My Dad
In an effort to allow Kristin some much valued non-baby time, I scooped Clara out of bed this morning and came downstairs for some quality just-me-and-my-dad time. We started by getting me some breakfast - I decided to forgo my customary 1/2 cup Kashi Crunch with a cup of yogurt for Frosted Mini-Wheats - as Clara had already had her first meal of the day. For the past couple of weeks, Clara has been very interested in the drinks that we put into our mouths. She stares at soda cans and is constantly reaching for glasses. She knows something is going on, but isn't quite sure how it relates to her. As I was eating my cereal I had Clara in my left arm, and each time I brought a spoonfull up to my mouth she would lean in, trying to get the spoon into her mouth. It became a bit of a game, to see how close to the spoon she could get before it made its way into Daddy's mouth.
I suddenly noticed how much Clara is growing. How deliberate her movements have become, how strong her core muscles are. She isn't a lump any more. She moves towards things that interest her, already demonstrating that strong will we've all heard about.
Eventually, Clara fell asleep, and I laid her down on the couch next to me. I thought about calling to Kristin, to give her the chance to come and relax. Then i realized: this is what Kristin has to do during the week to get Clara to sleep. The opportunity to get up and move around is a welcome one.
So I sat there and watched my little girl sleep, amazed at how much she is growing. That little newborn baby is gone. This new one is fun, but I'll always miss the little peanut that would sigh while laying on my chest, turning me into a puddle as she lay in my arms.
Labels: Clara

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home