Blogging from Thai
Overheard at my lunch with Diana today:
"Where's my wallet. I used it to get off the metro today. Maybe it's in my purse holder."What, you might ask, is a purse holder?
I feel wholly unqualified to answer such a question as it lies so far outside my realm of expertise. Instead I've enlisted resident expert in over-sized female baggage, Alicia, our blog's first ever guest author. What some call a purse holder, she calls luggage. The names are different, the concept is the same. Without further ado: The Luggage Manifesto.
The Luggage Manifesto
People often ask me, "Alicia, why do you carry a bag so large?" I usually laugh because random people I don’t even know make fun of the very large bag. My usual response is, "I just have a lot of stuff to carry." I’ll let you in on the real truth. I carry a bag so large because for some reason, I feel naked without it. There is just no way I could ever leave for work with just a wallet in hand. Are you interested in knowing what I carry in a bag so large? For example, today I am carrying the following items:
- Make-up bag
- Two notebooks
- A book (you never know when you’ll have time to kill)
- Wallet
- 2 Business card holders that I don’t use
- Lip gloss
- Mini hair brush
- Various papers that I’ve been choosing to ignore
- Two parking tickets which have been paid
- Chapstick
- Gum
- A couple of pens
- Nail buffer
- Keys
- Hair rubber bands and bobby pins
- A roll of film that should have been developed over 6 months ago
I remember back in February when I bought Luggage Number Two, I thought to myself, people are going to be pissed on a crowded bus. I quietly laughed to myself and brought my purchase up to the counter at Coach. I didn’t care, I got such a great deal how could I not have bought the bag?! I absolutely love this bag and I take special care of it. I brought it to softball one day, and instead of throwing it on the ground like other people’s dirty backpacks, I took a large map, unfolded it, and placed my bag lovingly on top. I was concerned, you see, about the bottom of the bag getting dirty since the leather is so light.
So to all those haters out there, the large bag is a part of me, kind of like my child, and I’m not giving it up anytime soon. You can continue with your comments and your dirty looks, but I’m not going down without a fight!
Labels: work



1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
As mentioned in the first part of this post, I also have a purse holder. Although mine is much less stylish than Alicia's and I don't use it as a shield - it essentially serves the same purpose. In my L.L Bean canvas tote, I currently have the following items:
-a purse (which is unnaturally large as well)
-makeup case
-gym clothes
-socks and sneakers
-water bottle
-lock and key (for the locker at the gym)
-book
-day planner
-light jacket
-umbrella
-hairbrush
-lunchbox (yes, i have a lunchbox)
-assorted gladware that doesn't fit in the lunchbox
-iPod
You can mock all of the items as much as you want, but I always like to be prepared for a variety of situations. You won't be laughing when you're chilly at a restaurant and I pull out my somewhat cute, always matching because its a neutral color light jacket.
Post a Comment
<< Home