Sigh.
Heidi is a good friend. On her blog she posted a recipe for
bread pudding. Oh, I love bread pudding. (Kristin does not. Alas, the one incompatibility in our relationship.) I followed the link and found an amazing blog full of great recipes and step by step pictures of how to make each dish. The lighting in the pictures, something I am currently struggling with, is amazing. Go check out the recipe at The Pioneer Woman Cooks!.
But my run in with bread pudding doesn't stop there. No! I stopped by Whole Foods on the way home from work today (needed soy-free, wheat-free, dairy-free biter biscuits for Clara). I walked by the bakery, in the hopes that something would jump into my basket, and found the dessert bar. A very inspired dessert bar.
- Item: Whole Food's Strawberry and Cream cake by the slice. Ask anyone at work; this is my favorite cake.
- Item: Chocolate Cake by the slice.
- Item: Bread Pudding by the spoonful.
and ...
wait for it ... - Item: Croissant Pudding by the spoonful.
I could already feel my stomach starting to ache. Yet stopping wasn't in the equation. I had croissant pudding. I had to try it. My little fork quivered with excitement. Bite one. The buttery flavor of the croissant called through the creamy custard. The choice of tart fruit was a brilliant one, as the flavors of rich butter, heavy cream, and tart fruit sang a chorus of joy across my tongue, down my esophagus, to my stomach. Bite two. Bite three. Bite four. I had to stop myself. I had to save some for tonight. I still had dinner to eat! Oh, I just spoiled my dinner.
On the way home a most wonderful thought crossed my mind: the greatest joy of bread pudding is that I never have to share. It's all mine.
Labels: food

3 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Just last night Sara and I were at dinner and she said that she probably loves bread pudding as much as you. If you ever make it to Utah and do other than a fly by, we'll take you guys to the Citris Grill. It's marvelous. Not Sweetwater marvelous, but marvelous nonetheless.
It's true. I think I could probably rival your bread pudding fantasy. (Himself also likes it, however, so I have to share).
You MUST try the White Chocolate Raspberry Bread Pudding at Bilbo Baggins in Old Town Alexandria. And, all true bread pudding afficionados must venture to New Orleans. The bread pudding there, with rum butter sauce, is simply divine.
And darn you! Stop posting about East Coast grocery stores - I'm drooling here. Smith's doesn't sell croissant pudding.
Not to be a spoil sport, but just how many points was that? :>)
When are you going to do more 100 calorie food reviews?
Post a Comment
<< Home