Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dirty Hippies

I ran into my buddy Jerry on the Metro this evening. I've been running into him a lot lately - I guess our schedules are synced up. During the ride home we discussed technology, the place of cash in the future of financial transactions, DC area job boards, and politics. Jerry is a fascinating man.

We also talked briefly about public transportation. We both ride the bus and the metro. The bus leaves from a Park & Ride, and takes us directly to a Metro station. Recently, I've started taking a bus from my house to the Park & Ride, rather than having Kristin drive me. This saves having to get The Boo into her car seat in the morning.

On the way home, I catch a bus from the Metro to the Park & Ride, then another bus from the Park & Ride to a bus stop near my house. From there it's five minute walk to my house. During this walk I often get a thrill from the fact that I have just travelled to and from work using, exclusively, public transportation.

But the question is "Why?" Why do I so love the public transport? Is it because I want to save the environment by reducing greenhouse emissions? No, I've never been one to go on and on like the dirty hippies do (insert reference to brilliant hippie episode of South Park). Is it because I am doing my part to ease the traffic burden on DC area streets? Again I'd have to say "no". People in this area willingly move into a home that requires a 45+-minute commute. You know what you are signing up for when you live in this area. The reason, much more straight forward than any of the above, is evident when I answer that oft posed question, "What would you do if you won the lottery?"
  1. Quit work.
  2. Buy a 12-foot Steinway grand.
  3. Buy a nice car and hire a little man with a hat to drive me around.
Simply put: I hate to drive.

3 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Sally said...

May you have that grand one day.
Oh, how I do love your music. Mom

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Heidi Totten said...

This is a whole new side of you - the driver hater thing. I would have pegged you as a tree hugger. :P

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Julia said...

I don't take public transport because I simply have nothing to wear on public transport, sweetie darling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home