Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wii Party & Best Movie Ever

As we walked into the One True Grocery Store today, we passed one of those Red Box movie rental machines. I quickly flicked through the titles telling Kristin all the movies we had to rent. After she rolled her eyes at all the dumb movies she has no desire seeing, I came to Music & Lyrics. We decided it was the perfect type of fluff for a Saturday night at home.

We needed some detox after our early evening activity: five 12- and 13-year-old boys descending on our house for a Wii Party. As a reward for a month's worth of good behavior in Deacons' Quorum Meeting, we grilled burgers & dogs and played boxing, bowling, tennis, and the cow race game on our Wii. Teenage boys are a curious sort. I was highly entertained by the topics of conversation, the need to communicate at max volume, and their ability to turn any social interaction into a wrestling match. The house survived, though the couches received two years' worth of abuse in two short hours.

After they left, we popped in the movie. For those who not familiar with the story line, Hugh Grant is a 80's has-been musician who is recruited by the IT teenage starlet to write her next hit song. Drew Barrymore ends up penning the lyrics to the song with appropriate romantic comedy twists and turns. The band Hugh Grant's character played in was named PoP! and the music video for their hit song "PoP! Goes My Heart" plays during the opening credits.

The music is pure synth-pop and beautifully captures the 80's new wave look while poking just the right amount of fun without pushing it over the edge into the realm of full-on spoof. I can't seem to get enough of the video and keep playing it again and again. Kristin asked me if I realized that they are making fun of the 80's. In response I appropriately glared.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 5:49 AM, Blogger jodycake said...

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciated the wonder of the Pop! music video! I will not reveal the number of redbox dollars I've spent renting this movie yet again....
yep, two and a half minutes of pure genius there.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Brian said...

I think the best part of this movie was the satirical play on VH1's Pop videos...the rest of the movie I thought left much to be desired in the way of character development and plot...but then again, Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore movies hardly ever feature any of that anyway...the poking fun of the Pop 80s was a nice undertone though.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Oliver said...

Brian - I'd have to agree that the Pop-Up video shout-out at the end was brilliant. The real challenge is to come up with any romantic comedy with real character development.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home