A Visit from Michael David
On Saturday Michael got to come over to visit while his parents went and saw a movie. At one point in the afternoon Kristin had taken Clara upstairs to try to get her to sleep. Michael and I played with toys, wrestled a little, and ended up sitting on the couch and having a heart-to-heart.
As he sat there, looking at me with his round, perfect, baby blue eyes, I realized that, some day in the future, I will be turning my little girl over to another person, possibly him. Some boy, hopefully a man, will want to take my little girl away, care for her for the rest of his life and for eternity, and make a new life for the both of them. I caught myself becoming very protective, scrutinizing Michael from every angle, asking with my eyes, "What makes you good enough? What makes you think you can take care of her? How can I know if I can trust you?"
Michael sweetly looked at me with those eyes, and they said, "I'll be a good man. I will take care of her." And in that moment my heart softened.
Who knows who Clara will end up with. All I can hope is that she is lucky enough to find a man with a soul as honest and pure as the one I see each time I look into little Michael David's eyes.
Labels: friends

4 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Ah, Oliver. That made me get a little teary.
Our babies really are precious aren't they?
You always pray for that special person for your child, because in the end you really don't have any say in it. We feel very blessed that Kristin fell in love with you and that you were the man to take our little girl away. My good fortune was that Kristin brought a wonderful son into the family.
Now how many points do I get for this? Love, Debbie Lou
Nothing compared to the points you've earned for raising such a daughter.
When do we get to see you next?
All of my vacation time is accounted for this year, so sadly I can't make it until next year. But you can bet it will be very early next year!
Love, Debbie
Post a Comment
<< Home