Cleaning the Chapel
One of the Church's programs that I most respect is the member chapel cleaning program. For those not in the know, each week a number of families are assigned to come to the church on Saturday morning, perform some light cleaning, and set up the chairs in the classrooms and overflow.
This week it was our turn, so we delayed our Philly departure until later this morning and I headed to the chapel at 8am. Dan, our group leader, was already there and had vacuumed the halls, the overflow area, and the three largest classrooms. I took the job of vacuuming the rest of the classrooms and setting up the chairs.
In one classroom (actually the room I used when I taught the 7 year-olds in Primary), with the warm morning sun streaming through the window, I recalled all the reasons I like the member-cleaning program. Even though professional cleaners come once a week to do the heavy cleaning, having members involved in the care of the building not only helps each individual's appreciation for the physical structure increase, but also gives each member of the congregation a chance to serve, and be blessed for their service.
Five families showed up to help and I was on my way home after 42 minutes. I walked in the house awake and energized by the physical work, but also refreshed for having the chance to serve.
Labels: church

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home