Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Welcome iPods

Earlier today Apple announced a complete overhaul of the entire iPod line. At an event titled "The Beat Goes On" (click here for a live blogging of the event and here to watch the event), Steve Jobs presented: a new ringtones option for iTunes and the iPhone; new colors for the iPod Shuffle; a totally redesigned iPod Nano with new colors, a video screen, and a new interface; larger disk sizes and a new case for the renamed iPod Classic; and a brand new iPod Touch, which is basically an iPhone without the phone. Also they cut the price on the iPhone by 1/3 (from $599 to $399).

A few thoughts about the changes:
  • At this point, Apple has refreshed the great majority of its product line this year: new Mac books, brand new iMac, now the iPod line. Hello Christmas retail season.
  • I'm not sold on the colors for the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nanos (see pic below). Gone are the neon colors that defined the line for so long. The muted tones ... it remains to be seen if consumers will embrace (read buy) them.
  • The Nano looks a little boxy. Mind you, the product is 6.5 mm think (or thin as Apple likes to say). That slimness gives it some serious SQ.
  • The iPhone still wants for GPS and enterprise e-mail and calendar integration. Once those two are there, I'm sold on the product.

Regardless, Apple came out with a VERY strong update to an already strong product line. As always, kudos to them for constantly innovating. If you were to ask Santa for one for Christmas, which would you chose?

4 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 9:22 AM, Blogger foculbrown said...

You asked, so I'll answer. I would go for the new iPod Nano. The iPod Touch looks too much like the iPhone. If you are going to get the Touch, why not get the iPhone. I would want the picture/video capabilities that with the video screen.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger tara said...

Grrr. I am blinded by the disappointment of having the touch introduced with so little memory.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I myself am one of those "I wish I had an Ipod" guys...but I can't seem to get myself to pay $300-$500 for something that plays music just as well as my $25 MP3 player.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jared said...

Okay in terms of sheer SQ, doesn't the new iMac have to win? When you look at your home PC and see a picture of the new iMac you have to admit that is some serious hotness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home