Oregon Day 4: Morning
Since we didn't get a chance to eat at the Rose City Cafe on our way in (more on that later) I knew it was my responsibility to take care of the one other MUST DO for a trip to Portland: Donut World. So this morning when Clara started stirring, I scooped her up, put on my coat and hat, wrestled her into her coat, and headed out the door.
If you have not read my previous post about Donut World (link above) they you must stop now and do so. It is the home of THE donut. Kristin and I have had many an existential discussion regarding the gender of THE donut - I mean, how do you know which pronoun to use when referring to THE donut. Where are Søren, Jean-Paul and Albert when you need them?
It was raining (shock) so I covered Clara in my coat as we ducked into the store. I love bakeries. I love surveying cases of goodies, contemplating the merit of each one - some obviously of higher merit than others, then selecting a mix that will delight the palette and expand the waistline. I chose four Boston Creams (Kristin's favorite), one buttermilk bar, a cherry cake, a lemon filled, a cherry filled, a crueler, one plain cake, and two others I can't recall. The buttermilk bars are the most interesting of them all. The donut is dense, like a cake donut, not shaped in a ring but rather a small mound, is full of cracks and crinkles, and has a nice milky flavor. I get one every time. Knowing that I needed a picture for this post, I put Clara in one of the linoleum-covered booths and pulled out the camera. She immediately set to investigating the box, then saw the camera and reached for it and, when she couldn't reach, turned to look out the window. My, what a fickle little one. I brought the donut home and immediately downed four. I love vacation.

Labels: Portland 2007



1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
You only ate four once you got home?!??!!?
What is the matter with you? Aren't you at least good for half a dozen?
Post a Comment
<< Home