'Tis the Season to ... WAIT UNTIL THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING!!!
I took today off work to spend some time with Kristin and Clara. Also, to recuperate from the weekend jaunt up to Philly. We enjoyed a lazy start to the day, which means 7:30 instead of 6:30, and headed out to run some errands after the morning nap.
While on the road, listening to the radio, I heard something most distressing: 92.5 WINC FM played a station identification promo that included jingle bells. Jingle bells. Aka sleigh bells. In November!
For our Monday night treat we met BJC, DBM, and ATLS at Chik-fil-A for shakes. On the way home we passed two houses in our extended neighborhood that had their Christmas decorations up. In early November!
Folks, I am as excited as the next guy for the Christmas season. I love the music, the goodies, the decorations, the presents. But celebrating Christmas for two months solid doesn't make the holiday any more special. In fact, it makes it less so. (It's sort of like the three year presidential election cycle we're now in. I'm so ready for someone to just say, "Okay, you all are losers so we're going to pick colored pebbles out of a bag. The one with the yellow pebbles wins." We'd probably end up with a better candidate than the path we're looking at now.)
Christmas music, decorations, etc. are permitted the day after Thanksgiving. And should be liberally applied to everything through December 31st. Heck, this year we even have an early Thanksgiving. We'll have more time to enjoy carols, lights, and fattening treats.
Maybe I should get my HOA on this. Early Christmas decorations are much more important than the state of my backyard.

1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Oliver, what do you mean? Do you really think that the length of the grass in your backyard (that no one can see) doesn't change the home value of your neighbors? How can you say that? Everyone loves to live in neighborhoods with early, tacky Christmas decorations. No one wants to live in a neighborhood with anything over one and a quarter inch grass.
Post a Comment
<< Home