Holiday Party
Tonight was my company's holiday party. Kristin stayed home with Clara (abbreviated reason: I like to flit from conversation to conversation, she does not and can't tolerate cocktail party chit chat, so she stays at home). The party was held a The Clarendon Ballroom. We've had company functions there before. It is a great space with a roof-top patio, dance area, and plenty of seating and space to move.
I arrived about thirty minutes into the party and the place was hopping. They had three food areas: cold meats and cheeses, sushi, and hot food. I immediately got in line for the food. Why you ask? Because they had macaroni & cheese. That's right, macaroni & cheese. Apparently gourmet comfort food is all the rage right now. I've heard of mashed potatoes being served at nice functions. Why, when it came time for dessert waiters circulated in pairs, one with a plate of cookies and the other with shot glasses full of milk. I can now say I've done a shot. A shot glass of milk, that is.I filled my plate full of the macaroni & cheese, but still had a little room for a few pieces of toasted bread topped with beautiful lump crab meat. I'm feeling happy feelings just thinking about it. I had a chance to catch up with the spouses and significant others of my co-workers, and meet a few that I had yet to met. One funny story from the night. While talking to one of the BIG WIGS in our corporation I recounted the first time I met him. At the time I did not know who he was and was on the verge of asking him "So who are you and what do you do around here?" when our CEO mentioned that he is the Publisher of The Washington Post newspaper. I almost wish I'd had the chance to ask my question.
After everyone had eaten, and the alcohol started having its effect on the crowd, the dancing began. I had a wonderful time; I love to dance. I even danced a song or two with our CEO. She is six feet tall and appreciates a tall man who can dance. I'm starting to notice, though, that I'm not as young as I think I am. My back started to act up again. I guess I'll just have to keep popping the muscle relaxants. (How I adore those things.) It was another stark reminder that I'm no longer part of the "young kids" crowd at work. You're kicked out once you start complaining of back or joint pain.
At 9:30p I told my coworkers that I had to leave, made it out the door by 9:50p (a near record for me) and drove home to my adorable wife and child. I must say, after the party I felt refreshed, rejuvenated. Such is the effect an energetic crowd has on a true extrovert.
Labels: work

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home