Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Back

Had a visit to the doctor on today. My back has been the cause of much pain since we arrived home from Portland. The pain spread down into my thighs and to the outsides of my knees. After a week's worth of complaining, I heeded Kristin's call and made an appointment with the doctor.

And wow, does my doctor have cool toys.

When I got there, a woman holding a miniture lap top took my weight and blood pressure and keyed it in. She then asked a few questions, typing my responses. She excused herself and the nurse practitioner, with whom I had the appointment, came in with her own mini laptop. She made a note that I prefer to be called by my middle name and started asking me questions, electronically noting what I said.

At first she thought it was a sciatic problem, but after a brief examination concluded that I had sprained my back. "Did you do anything lately that put strain on your back?" After conferring, we determined that lugging eight pieces of luggage around the airport, two five-and-a-half hour flights in coach with a one-year old, and ten nights is strange beds, five of those with a one-year old for company, and picking up the child more than I was accustomed probably wore my back down enough to sprain it.

She swiftly keyed two perscriptions into her computer, asking me which pharmacy I use. The perscriptions were instantaneously faxed, and I was on my way to pick up some anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxants.

Update: I popped the pills before dinner and slept eleven hours Tuesday night. Now that's what the doctor ordered.

3 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:01 AM, Blogger foculbrown said...

Ahhh...two of my favorite things: technology and prescription-strength drugs. And yes...you guys did have a ton of stuff to lug during your trip.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger zachariah said...

I started having serious pain similar to yours every time I flew a couple years back. Turned out I had a bad case of "Costanza Wallet" (as in George Costanza from Seinfeld). If your not familiar there was an episode about Georges wallet, which is so fat he can barely close it... well long story short the combination of uncomfortable airplane seat, pressure changes, and my fat wallet (not with money unfortunately) was affecting a nerve by cutting off circulation. So every time after landing I would have these horrible shooting pains for a couple days running down my legs and up my back. Solution: Fiona bought me a front pocket slim wallet and I tossed the other one... result: no more pain after flying (at least not in the same region).

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jared said...

11 hours of sleep can fix 90% of what ails someone.

I wonder what it would be like to sleep that long....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home