Sunday, January 13, 2008

Greatest. Brownie. Pan. Ever.

So, this Christmas Kristin won.

While opening presents she handed me two boxes with the instruction, "Open the top on first." I opened a box of brownie mix and looked at her in puzzlement. "Brownies?" "Yes, brownies." "Okay ... I like them. Why as a gift?" "Open the next one." "But we take turns: me one, you one." "Open the box." "Yes, ma'am."

I then opened the single greatest gift given in the history of our family: the Baker's Edge Edge Brownie Pan. (Detailed info here.) Ingeniously designed, the Edge Brownie pan produces six corner pieces, four pieces with edges on either side, and two pieces with THREE EDGES. That's right, three edges! Genius, I tell you. Pure genius.

I freaked out then and there. You see, I love the edges of brownies. I could take or leave the middle, but nothing tops the chewy outside of a pan of good brownies. I have fond memories of the Duncan Hines brownies my mom used to make and the way the corners would cook a little too much and have a chewy, crunchy consistency. Now I have a pan that guarantees at least two edges per piece. Le sigh.

So, tonight I was complaining that I needed a sweet treat. Kristin reminded me of my Christmas gift. I jumped out of my seat, scurried to the pantry, paraded the pan around the main floor while making fanfare noises, and started making brownies. Here is the pan after I administered the layer of non-stick cooking spray:
The only brownie mix worthy of such a vessel is the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix. I combined the ingredients, stirred the prescribed forty times, and spooned into the edge pan. After a little manual redistribution, and spatula licking ("I liked their spatulas so much, I bought the company."), the brownies were ready for the 325ยบ oven.
One of the great joys of the Baker's Edge Edge Brownie Pan is, due to the increased surface area, courtesy of the ingenious design, the brownies cooked in 35 minutes. (The recipe said 40-45 minutes.) I pulled the pan from the oven and fought myself as I waited fifteen minutes for them to set and cool.
There the pan sat, tempting me. I looked at the clock again and again. 9:11. 9:12. 9:13. 9:14. When will 9:15 arrive. Finally, 9:15. "Lovey, it's time!" Kristin didn't stir, so I pulled out the spatula that came with the pan (perfectly sized) and cut us each a brownie. I had one of the three-edge pieces; Kristin had a two. And to say these brownies were exquisite would be an understatement.

The brownies were perfectly cooked. No part was over or undercooked. Each bite was brownie perfection. I kid you not. One. Two. Three. I couldn't stop myself. Finally an aching stomach told me I'd had enough. Gone was the travails of overly gooey centers and slightly charred edges. Gone was the fight "Oh! save me an edge." 100% brownie goodness is now mine. For the rest of my life.

Hold the presses! Upon reviewing this post Kristin told me that Clara gave me the brownie pan. I hereby strip Kristin of her title and proclaim that Clara is winning. What a good girl she is.

Labels:

6 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I am definitely looking for one of those pans. Your love of food makes me smile.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger mattandhonor said...

Hey Oliver!! I showed Braden your post about the pan and his eyes got big and his mouth watered..and he promptly said "We've gotta have brownies while we're there!!" Would it be possible to honor such a request??

See you soon!
Honor

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Twinkies said...

I laughed out loud in my office when I read the part about you parading the pan around while making fanfare noises. I wish I was there to see it . . . and to taste the brownies.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Someone who loves the edges of brownies as much as I do. In fact, I won't eat a middle brownie. Not worth the caloric intake. I also love muffin tops - I own a muffin top pan just for that. But this ... I had no idea an edge pan existed. Hooray!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Becky J. said...

This really is genius. Gooey brownies are the worst, so I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger fiona said...

ooooo -- I want one of those!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home