Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It is What it is

Yesterday I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed at an outpatient surgical center across the street from the hospital. Check in at 8:00am, check out around 1:00pm...awesome, I can handle that.

So they do the surgery and as I'm waking up I hear the surgeon telling me the surgery went just fine, then something about the hospital and your husband went over to register you as an inpatient.

Um, what?

During the surgery they discovered that the ultrasound I had a couple of weeks ago missed a stone that had escaped from my gallbladder and lodged itself in my common bile duct. So they admitted me to the hospital and have me scheduled for another procedure in about two hours to go in and remove the stray stone. Fortunately it doesn't require an additional surgery; they'll use a scope to go down through my stomach and into my small intestine then up the bile duct to snatch the stone.

I'm hoping they'll let me head home after I wake up from the anesthesia rather than having to spend another night here. I think I had someone waking me up about every hour or two all night last night to give meds or take vital signs, so I'm sure I'll feel better after a good night's sleep at home. When a lab tech came and woke me up at 4:30am to draw blood I almost kicked him.

I'm feeling pretty good right now, definitely still a little sore, but I'm not needing any heavy-duty pain killers at this point. Right now we're just waiting for them to come get me for the next procedure. We'll update once I'm back home and everything has been taken care of.

4 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Heidi Totten said...

I'm glad that you are ok! Make sure that Oliver takes good care of you and that you get lots of rest!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger LauraJ said...

Yuck! I hope the second procedure goes smoothly and that you do get to go home soon. Good luck!

Hopefully, once you get home and start recovering, life will be so much better! I was way more comfortable once I had that little bugger taken out!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Sorry to hear of the complication.
So happy for all of you that your Mom was able to stay longer. Here's hoping you get home today.
Love and prayers, Sally

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger fiona said...

Well, that doesn't sound too fun! I hope you're feeling all better soon and that everything goes well. We'll be thinking of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home