Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dinner and The interWebs

Tonight I met a college buddy for dinner. It was good to sit down, compare notes on how life is treating us, touch on the metaphysical and spiritual, vent a little about this and that, and generally catch up. He's winning the "make the other guy jealous" game. He's going to Dubai on vacation next month. DUBAI There's an odd pull that makes me want to visit Dubai.

Though Adam and I haven't talked in over a year, we quickly fell into deep conversation. I had a similar experience with a former coworker about a month ago. It is curious that there a people that you come to know so well that even though time passes you still retain the history and relationship forged over time. It helps when you have shared battle scars, in our case idiotic professors, multiple. Some of my favorite GW memories involve post-class rants at the Foggy Bottom metro station. Adam's then-girlfriend even witnessed a few and confirmed my insanity, a point that very few people argue.

After dinner we ran into a few coworkers who were at a farewell happy hour. For reasons made obvious by the next sentence, it is important to note that they all work in Editorial. I posed a question that has been weighing on my mind lately: Is the correct usage "the internets" or "the interwebs". Recently I have been partial to "the interwebs" but was curious to see how others view the world.

One person favored "the internets", another brought up "the online", and the third mentioned that he prefers "the interWeb". I immediately fused the third suggestion with my preferred and came up with "the interWebs".

I believe we have found the term. Not "the interwebs" but "the interWebs". If you're not laughing, go check your AP Stylebook.

Labels: