Saturday, August 23, 2008

Boxing Day

As Clara went down for her nap today I turned to Kristin and said, "Let's tackle the book boxes in our bedroom. I'm ready to have our bedroom 100% unpacked."

Book boxes in the bedroom? You heard me. Since this house is a little smaller than our old house, we had to find space for our bookcases. With a sizable master bedroom, they ended up next to my side of the bed. For the past week and a half we've had book boxes stacked all about the room. With Clara soundly sleeping, we moved in.

We were able to unload the boxes in fairly short order, so I left Kristin to organize. We don't have space for the small bookcase that used to sit in the guest room, so Kristin had to do some crazy maneuvering. I tackled the mountain of dishes that had started to pile up. When Clara woke up, she and I headed to the store to pick up some groceries. (And to Redbox to return 27 Dresses - enjoyed - and to pick up No Reservations.)

ASIDE RANT: Whoever said the cost of living is cheaper in Utah is smoking something serious and needs to share so I can feel the bliss. One can of Goya black beans at Macey's costs $1.09. I paid $0.80 for that same can at Wegmans. The house brands are also more expensive here: $0.70 at Macey's vs. $0.50 at Wegmans. All food, and gas, is more expensive in Utah than in Virginia. Sure, rent is cheaper, but you quickly make up for it in the cost of food! END ASIDE RANT

When Clara and I returned, Kristin told me to go upstairs. I walked into this:

The first picture is from the door into our bedroom. To the right is the closet; the left, the bathroom. The closed door in the second picture is the bathroom door.

One of the benefits of living up on a hillside is the view. It's fun to look out our bedroom window and see the valley below. From the deck off the front of our house, you can see campus and the windmills at the mouth of Price Canyon. You can even see the lake in the distance.

Helena, like my room with a view?

9 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 12:35 AM, Blogger Sally said...

Beautiful bedroom. Mom

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

David and I just returned from Utah saying how amazed we were at the cheap restaurant food. We were able to get a full lunch at Tucanos for $12 (comparable VA price - $25) and a meal at one of those Japanese Hibachi places for $12 for DINNER. We got a lot more food than we got at the one here, again for half the price.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Oliver said...

While chatting with a dinner guest last night I brought up the same thing: How can groceries be so much more expensive and restaurants be half the price. It's one of the strange paradoxes about living here.

Or maybe D.C. restaurants are just over-priced.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Lindsay & Josh said...

We bought some groceries when we were out there last month, and to that, Amen! I was blown away how much more food was there. Your house looks wonderful. We look forward to visiting it soon!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger bbond said...

my home teacher last semester worked for walmart and was in charge of comparing prices for groceries among all the stores in provo/orem. he said macy's is not the cheap store it appears to be. they are masters of marketing their store to seem cheap, but actually only a few things are really cheap. deceit!

you must come with me to costco once i am in town. i have a card so i can hook you up whenever you need some stuff in bulk

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

I would just like to remind you that I have a Wegmans.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

It is Spanish Fork Canyon which leads to the city of Price.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger zachariah said...

You food snob!!! Shop at Food-4-Less, cut out those hoidy toidy food stores if you wanna go cheap. We sooo miss Food-4-Less. Food, here is insane, it's 4 U.S. Dollars for a stinkin can of refried beans!!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger MaryM said...

This is unbelievable! We go to Macy's every time we're in town to bring cheap food back to CA! - Mary Moorhead

 

Post a Comment

<< Home