Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Traditions

Our little family will be spending Christmas at home, just the three of us, this year. Kristin and I felt it was time for us to begin establishing our own traditions. Although Clara won't remember this Christmas, we're excited to make the day special for her, and in turn us. We even mentioned Santa Claus for the first time over dinner tonight.

One of the traditions we discussed is holiday baking. I mentioned today that it wouldn't feel like Christmas without Seven Step Bars and Haystacks, two treats that we always had each Christmas. Many people are familiar with Seven Step Bars (also called Magic Bars says Kristin), but Haystacks aren't as well known. Haystacks are a butterscotch candy combination made with Chinese noodles and cashews. I have many fond memories of my mom making them each year. She always put them in the same tin, wax paper separating each layer. The tin would sit on the washer or drier and I'd often sneak one or two when Mom wasn't looking.

After a quick call to Mom for the ingredients and a quick trip to the store, I found myself standing in front of the stove with a double boiler barely simmering, melting the butterscotch chips. I added in the Chinese noodles and cashews once the chips were melted, gently mixing them together. Once everything was coated I made the stacks that give the candy its name on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet. The first set were a little too big ...

But the second set turned out just like I remember them.

There's something special about taking the old to create the new. With a little from my youth and a little from Kristin's we'll create something for our family to look forward to from year to year. And thanks to Jeff, we'll be able to watch Christmas Vacation time and time again.

And Kristin will laugh at Cousin Eddie all night long.

Labels:

7 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Heidi Totten said...

Those look like little aliens. In a good way.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sally said...

I love hearing about what of our famiy traditions you and your siblings have adopted. Yep, those first were too big. The second, just right. Enjoy! Oh, and what about the fudge? Mom

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jared said...

Those are looking good dude. I just cannot believe that you did not include a shout out to the fudge, though. Always hay stacks, seven step bars and fudge, no?

Have a Merry Christmas!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Yes, to Jared's comment. Forgot to mention: To my temple friends from Illinois and Missouri, 7 Step Bars are Hello Dollies! Mom

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger tara said...

funny, those butterscotch cookies were a staple in my house growing up. last week in preparation for my trip 'home', my mom asked me 'when you think of christmas, what foods do you think of.' the only answer i had was butterscotch cookies! think our moms picked up the recipe at a relief society function back in the day? ;)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Wow, I've never even heard of those goodies before, but they look tempting. I've read back several posts (having been out of the blogging world for a while) and little Clara is so beautiful!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger zachariah said...

Mmmm, those look good. I love all Christmas baked goods!... and Christmas Vacation, gotta watch it every year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home