Sunday, October 29, 2006

One minute and fifteen seconds

Item: While shopping at Target yesterday I came across a product so horrific and foul looking, yet mysteriously tempting, that I immediately knew I had to try it.

Item: My cousin Laura's husband, Robert, works for General Mills. A while back he told me that he was working on a product where you add water to a bowl of chemicals, stick it in the microwave, and out pops a cake.

Put two and two together: Betty Crocker's Warm Delights Molten Caramel Cake Cake Mix. In my shopping cart. After church today I decided to try it out. A picture of the product on my kitchen counter:
The package contained a bowl to cook the cake in, a packet of cake mix, and a pouch of caramel (pictured below).
The directions, which were on the side of the cardboard packaging:

I cut open the packet of cake mix, dumped it in the bowl, and added 1/4 cup of water. After stirring, it looked like normal cake batter. Wasn't sure if I should have been concerned as I usually have to add an egg and oil to powder before I get cake batter. Kristin said it's no different than just-add-water pancake mix, a fair point. The directions said to make 8-10 lines of caramel on top of the cake batter. I put some on the cake, and the rest in my mouth. The caramel was tasty. A picture of the assembled product is to the right. Totally sketchy looking if you ask me.

The next step was to bake. Well, not really to bake, more to bombard. So, I bombarded with microwave radiation at a frequency of 2450 MHz for one minute and fifteen seconds. After bombarding, I took the bowl out of the microwave and let it sit for five minutes. I'm sure you're dying to see the finished product. Behold!
All that remained was to try the thing. As Kristin would not touch it without proof that it wouldn't kill her - something about her life being worth more than mine because she is carrying our child - I handed her the camera, to document the moment for posterity, and dove in. I was amazed; the thing actually tasted pretty good! It was cooked evenly, had a nice chocolatey taste, and the caramel was nice and hot. Kristin even had a few bites. At 7.5 points, I doubt it'll be a regular meal, but when I'm in the mood for something fun, tasty, slightly disturbing, and ready in one minute, the Betty Crocker's Warm Delights Molten Caramel Cake Cake Mix will be the perfect treat!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are brave! The only things we use our "nuker" for is to heat water, re-heat leftovers, and pop popcorn.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger fiona said...

Mmmm...actually looks pretty yummy!! I saw a commercial for this exact desert yesterday. It was interesting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home