Wednesday, November 29, 2006

This is simple? Really?

Kristin has subscribed to the magazine Real Simple for a number of years. In the beginning, each edition was about a quarter inch think and chock full of content about paring down, simplifying, and re-zen-ing your life. There weren't a lot of ads, but the ones included hawked products that fit the theme: make life easier, a little less crazy, and save some money doing it.

I found last month's Real Simple laying around the house. I picked it up and immediately noticed that, instead of staples down the middle, the magazine was now bound like a heavy duty fashion mag. The ratio of content to ads was through the roof and the products and services advertised therein seemed more appropriate for the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book than a magazine with 'simple' in its title.

While putting the magazine back where I found it, the back cover caught my eye and confirmed that they had sold out:
Cadillac. Really? That's simple?