Artifical Market Pressures
Kristin is doing a special diet to make sure Clara doesn't get too big. One of the things she likes to eat are yogurt covered raisins. The SunMaid brand are ghetto, so she found another brand at Wegmans, Mariani.
At first, she would buy one bag at a time. The store only carried a few bags, and when they ran out she'd have to go back to SunMaid. After not having Mariani's for a while, Kristin decided that the next time they were in stock she would buy them out. A week later, they had four bags. She bought them all. This happened once or twice, where they would restock with 2-4 bags and she would buy them all, until today. They had a whole shelf of Mariani Premium Vanilla Flavored Yogurt Raisins. I told Kristin she should be proud as she single handedly created the market pressure necessary to cause Wegmans to dramatically increase their stock of the product.I wonder what will happen when she stops the diet once Clara is born...
Related posts on Jared's blog: Economist's Nightmare and I Can't Take the Pressure

1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
I am a big believer that you can drive the market. Most of these stores have all of this done by computers. You just jacked up the expected return on stocked shelves. I would be surprised if they did not tap in the Wegman's card technology to know if it was a single person that was driving up demand. But, maybe they don't.
Post a Comment
<< Home