Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Trip to the Towne

Yesterday we took advantage of the amazing weather and headed to Old Town Alexandria with David, Bonnie and Michael. It was Clara's first trip out and about. I believe it was also the first trip for Michael. They walked over to our house and we piled in our Honda Pilot for the drive. A few words on our Honda Pilot. We fit four grown adults and two newborns in car seats without issue. It was a comfortable ride and we only had one car to park. Such a lovely way to travel.
We took the George Washington Parkway to Old Town. It's the more scenic drive. Although there aren't any leaves on the trees, there was still a majesty in the tall trees forming a nave over the road. We got great views of the monuments and memorials as we drove past downtown.

[Side note on parking: We found a street parking right across the street from the spot where a coworker and I parked when we had to run an errand to Old Town a few months ago. Hello National Federation of Republican Women.]

David & Bonnie brought along their Snap & Go stroller. It fit beautifully in the back of the Pilot with the third row up, even! Kristin brought along the Baby Bjorn. Check out the pic of us all ready to roll.

We grabbed a bite to eat and hit a few stores. I was served the wrong sandwich, but finally got the right one. Oh, and I had salt and vinegar potato chips. I love salt and vinegar potato chips. David was OBSESSED with a marble game in Ten Thousand Villages. We also found the bowls that are also power chimes. Hours of fun. Also, who knew that Old Town was home to so many wig shops. I think the last time I saw a wig shop was ... well ... never. We saw three.

It was fun to be out on the streets on such a beautiful day. There were tons of people out; it seemed everyone either had a dog or a kid in a stroller. Window shopping was great. We took a break at the plaza near the City Hall and the kids had a snack. We also snapped a ton of pictures in and around the plaza.

Since the kids had eaten, to be fair, the parents needed a snack too, so we went to The Scoop. The two favorite flavors were Black Raspberry Cheesecake and Orange Chocolate Chocolate Chip.

We walked around some more, eventually making our way to the car. David felt that, as we were so close, the trip would have been a waste had we not stopped by Krispy Kreme. We headed to the source of the true and living donut and bought a few dozen. As we sat in the car, feeding babies who wouldn't wait to get home, ahem Clara, we all commented that Dunkin Donuts and Shoppers ain't got nothing on Krispy Kreme.



Labels: , ,

3 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 10:05 PM, Blogger foculbrown said...

Julie:
Weren't you at CHURCH when this was posted, you naughty backdating boy?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger fiona said...

So I caught up on your blog today, and all the mentions of Krispy Kreme had me totally craving donuts of some sort. We went to Costco, and I was all excited to buy a churro. Except I forgot to bring in some $$$. Then we went to Giant, and I was so looking forward to getting a donut, but Nuala was fussing so much I had to forgo it and head straight back to the car...very sad. I WILL get my donut somehow. Thanks a lot.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jared said...

Hey Oliver, what is up with the shorts in the middle of winter? You should not spring the pasty whiteness on everyone in winter. They aren't expecting it. At any time in the summer or nice days in the fall or spring, pasty legs are fair game. But in the middle of winter? Bad form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home