Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Five Pillars

On the way home, as we sped down the beltway admiring the marvels of modern construction before us - Mixing Bowl say what? - I realized that we had just completed Clara's very first ever, in her total lifetime, this is a huge deal, Krispy Kreme run. What a lucky girl she is to have parents that introduce her to the finer elements of life at such an early age.

I then asked, "What's on the list of things that you must do to say that you are truly a Northern Virginian? I mean, like Islam has its five pillars, what are the Pillars of Northern Virginia?"

We decided the first is Krispy Kreme. The obvious pillar of greatest importance. The second follows in the same vein: Five Guys. Visiting the Mall downtown would be the third, followed by riding the metro to get there as fourth. Fifth, we decided on that landmark of modern traffic reports*, the Washington DC Temple Visitors Center.

So now we have our pillars. Now we know the things we need to take Clara to do before we can say she is a true Northern Virginian. One down, four to go!
* It's slightly surreal to hear reference to the temple in traffic reports: "There's slowing on the outer loop from Georgia Avenue down past the Mormon temple."

1 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:11 PM, Blogger foculbrown said...

When I moved here in the summer of '03, it shocked me it hear that the all-news station was owned by Bonneville International. I laugh that most people in the area associate the DC Temple with a traffic landmark.

I agree that Krispy Kreme is a pillar of modern life--a pillar that has a neon sign flashing "HOT NOW".

Five Guys is one of the virtues of NoVA. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water and my arteries harden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home