Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Colter Says It Best

If there's one thing I've learned in my thirty years of existence on this planet, it's that kids most often express ideas in the most succinct of manners. In this case, Colter says it best in this post. I'll wait while you go read it. It's a quick read.

You back? Good. I'll go on.

I get four weeks of paid paternal leave. (Thank you company!) After taking two weeks to be home full-time, I'm spreading the remaining time across January by taking off every Tuesday and Thursday. I'll also be taking off the week that my mother is in town. This way I'll be around to see Clara grow and won't annoy Kristin by going stir-crazy from being in the house for so long.

Thus, today I went back to work. Like returning to the office after any time away, there were e-mails to read, phone calls to return, and coworkers with which to catch-up. The plant that sits on the bookshelf between my coworker and I is doing well. The branch of said plant that has been labeled "the victim of Oliver's murderous exploits" (I swear it was an accident) is even flourishing and is almost ready for repotting.

As I sat at my desk that day, my mind kept flashing to Kristin and Clara. Was Clara getting enough to eat? Was she fussing unnecessarily? Was Kristin getting a nap? Was Kristin stressing over dirty dishes or taking the higher road and sleeping? What cute thing was Clara doing that I was missing sitting at my desk and cursing Microsoft Outlook and the quota that results in me being unable to send e-mail until I delete some old messages.

Colter did say it best. This sucks.