A Fine Weekend: Day 1
To day was the first day of a fine weekend. Friday night ended up being a complete blast, between the Dance Festival, chatting with Kathy & Hal, and then seeing Clara roll over at Bonnie & David's house. David had suggested, Friday night, that we go get breakfast together Saturday morning. At a specific place: The Metro 29 Diner.
The Metro 29 Diner is located in Arlington, about 20 minutes from our house. We first took Bonnie & David there one Saturday when we all heading downtown for some reason or another. As they did this time, on that first visit I told them they had to order the french toast. They make their french toast with challah bread. When you order it, you get two huge pieces. It's a breakfast fit for carbohydrate-loving royalty. The fact that David said he wanted french toast, rather than requesting the Metro 29 Diner, says something as to the power of this particular dish.
The diner is very different on the weekends. I usually go there during the week with my buddy Stuart. During the week it is an odd collection of business people, old people, and groups of men with Bibles. I kid you not. On average I would say there are three to four groups of Bible-toting men each time Stuart and I dine there. But I digress. We were quickly seated and ordered. David, Bonnie, and Kristin all order the french toast. I opted for an omelet. I felt the need. And it was very satisfying. The waiter was a total jerk, and I tried not to be a jerk back. Ask one of the others if I succeeded.
Afterwards, since we were so close, we headed to Heidelberg. I've Heidelberg before. It is the greatest bakery in the whole world. Much like the diner, it was totally different on the weekend! They had a wurst cart out in front (11a-2p, weather permitting) and inside the pastry chef was giving samples of one of his dishes, and it was packed full of people. We didn't end up buying anything, but David's curiosity is now sufficiently peaked that he wants to come back and try a few things. I can't wait.
Oh, and I love my Honda Pilot. Just like our last trip with David & Bonnie, we all piled into the car and travelled in comfort. Sigh. What a great car.

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home