Monday, January 14, 2008

Back From The Allergist

Clara's appointment with the allergist today brought us some good news, some expected news, and some not-so-good news. They did a skin scratch test to a few foods to figure out what might be her prognosis and some options for us in the here and now.

The Good: Clara didn't react to soy, so we can start giving her soy milk and weaning her off Neocate. Yay! Soy milk is the nearest to cows milk in terms of nutritional content, so that's a big positive.

The Expected: Yes, she is in fact still allergic to milk proteins. Duh. But the doctor was very encouraged by the fact that her reactions to milk and casein were fairly mild. He's reasonably sure she'll outgrow this one in the next few years. Let's hope.

The Not-So-Good: He decided to test peanuts, since they are a great source of protein. But...she reacted. The degree of reaction was about the same as the milk, so hopefully that indicates it won't be too serious, and she may even outgrow it, although it's less likely than the milk allergy. But at this point there really is no way to tell how badly she'll react if she were to eat peanut products. As such, the doctor gave us a prescription for an epi-pen on the very unlikely chance that she may have a severe reaction.

She'll be retested in a year for both peanuts and milk, and we're hopeful that this will be short-lived. In the meantime, we'll pass on the peanut butter and I'm collecting dairy-free recipes. Anyone have some good ones?

Labels:

3 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 8:24 PM, Blogger alyson said...

So sorry to hear about the allergy troubles. My husband has a milk allergy, and I've had pretty good luck so far subbing in vanilla soy milk for regular milk in my muffin recipes. In my experience, muffins made with soymilk tend to be a bit denser, so I throw in a teaspoon or two extra of baking powder.

I've also had decent luck using almond milk. Haven't tried rice milk yet.

Blueberry muffins:
http://www.morethanthis.net/blog/archives/2006/12/10/001878.html

Cranberry muffins:
http://www.morethanthis.net/blog/archives/2007/10/30/006711.html

Best wishes!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Marci said...

Allergies are the worst! Matt's shellfish allergy has me craving all things shrimp, lobster, crab, etc. Funny how the grass is always greener...

You should check with my mom for recipes. My brother's lactose-intolerant, so she has adapted all her cooking to be virtually dairy-free. She's quite good at it now.

My 1st counselor also can't digest lactose, and she raves about ricemilk as a fabulous substitute in most things. I have a DELICIOUS rice pudding recipe that is completely dairy-free (it uses vanilla soy milk) and totally delicious. I'll post it for you tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK! :)

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Jen said...

My babe has the same problems! She can't have soy either, so we use a lot of rice milk. Here are two links that my doctor gave me. good luck!
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/misc/milkallergy_cutout.html
That one is good to keep in your purse. It helps you figure out what does and doesn't have milk in it. You have Wegmans though, so that makes it easier!

http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/milk.html
I would also recommend Rice Dream Milk. I wish I would have found it sooner because you can cook with it and we can't tell any difference like in muffins or pancakes. The labels are nice now that they have to list the allergens but I have found the best luck with generic products like Wal-marts Great Value and Harmons brand hotdog/hamburger buns & bread. Good luck! Pass any good recipes on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home