Shuffling
I thought it would be fun to give you, my loyal blog readers, a little insight into my daily life as an MBA student. I will be graduating with my MBA in 2010, therefore I am part of the class of 2010. The BYU MBA Class of 2010 is made up of 150 students. The average age is 28. 20% are female. And I’m the second tallest. (The only consolation is that the tallest guy is name Wagner, pronounced Vagner. Very cool.) The class has been divided into three sections of 50 each and I am in Section 1.
The program has a certain set of classes that all students must take called the MBA core. The first semester of the program is 100% core. Signing up for classes was easy: I clicked one button in the registration system and my six classes were added. For Section 1 our classes start at 8am every day and are held in the same classroom (W208). We even have a seating chart. That’s right, a seating chart. And this is the main topic of today’s post.
On the first day of class we found a copy of the seating chart in our mailboxes. The chart had my seat on the right side, second row, second seat in from the aisle. A decent seat, a little out of the instructor’s line of sight, but comfortable and a place where I could be seen if I want to make a comment. I started settling in thinking this would be my home for the next four months.
Then things started going a little crazy.
A new wing of the business school was opened. After one day of classes, we were moved to a room with a different floor plan. Each row had a different number of seats, we couldn’t sit per the chart, but we adapted, making room here and there for our classmates. Ain’t no thing, right?
Wrong. One day later we get an e-mail with a new seating chart attached. So, next class we find our new seats, start to settle in and …
BAM. Another new seating chart. So now I’m way off to the side, back row, no leg room, blurry to our operations professor who is partially blind. But I’ll survive. I can speak out. I can make myself noticed.
But, please, don’t send me another seating chart.
Labels: grad school

2 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Oh for crying out loud! You're in grad school - you have to have a seating chart?!
I hated seating charts because as a leftie, some desks and seating configurations just don't work if the person next to me doesn't want an elbow in his/her ribs.
Another seating chart is coming your way for winter semeter. Bwahahaha! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home