Epidurals: For Better or For Worse
Heavy labor started around 10am this morning. At around 2:30p the doctor came in and checked Kristin. 4 centimeters. The contractions were incredibly intense and the pain was almost unbearable. The pitocin was really sending Kristin into hard labor very quickly. After consulting with the doctor, Kristin decided to get the epidural.
At 3:12p the anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural. The contraction intensity was quickly escalating. Hunched over her belly, sitting on the hospital bed the nurse anesthesiologist started the procedure. They said to expect a five minute procedure and relief in fifteen. After ten minutes the nurse was making faces. At twenty minutes the doctor took over. At twenty five minutes he asked the nurse for a new kit and they started all over. At forty minutes a third kit was opened, starting all over with Kristin laying on her side. At fifty five minutes the procedure was completed. At sixty minutes the anesthesiologist walked out of the room.
I felt so helpless watching Kristin hunched over her body, in intense pain, trying not to move while they tried to find the right spot. Tension and frustration in the room was high. At one point the doctor asked Kristin how she was doing. She could only whimper. I chimed in with, "She means thank you so much for you persistence." And the persistence paid off. Kristin is now sitting happy, will drugs coursing into her spine, and a relaxed look on her face.
After Kristin was situated the nurse checked her progress. She went from a four to an eight in two hours!! Sounds like little Clara is coming soon.
I asked Kristin if she is sad that she didn't get to experience natural child birth and she said, "I think I experienced enough natural child birth. I was in an induced labor from 10am until 4:30p. And the last hour of that was not fun. I don't think I'm a wimp, and that really, really, really, really, hurt."
We looked at each other and smiled. The she said, "I'm a convert."
Labels: Clara

2 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Repeat after me: "Give me drugs!!"
I saw what Julie went through. I almost over-ruled her when she didn't want any. Then, when she wanted them, it was too late.
Repeat after me: "Give me drugs!!"
Is there a baby?!?!?!? Are you proud parents of a little Clara???
Post a Comment
<< Home