Book Infidelity
So, I'm contemplating cheating again. The first time was so easy. And so fulfilling. This time, the pull isn't as great, but I've given into temptation once. It seems much easier to do it again...
It all started with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I was in the middle of The Subtle Knife when Deathly Hallows was released. I had to start Deathly Hallows immediately. What if someone accidentally (or not so accidentally) revealed the plot and ending? How could I live with myself if Kristin, who I knew would finish in a day, beat me by a week? The rationalizations were strong. The decision was made. I was unfaithful to The Subtle Knife.
Now I am tempted to cheat again. My current book, The Historian, is good but I'm not totally enthralled. The Amber Spyglass, the last in the His Dark Materials trilogy, should be at the library Thursday. With 500 pages left in The Historian it will be a week or so before I will be done with The Historian and then have a chance to finish the story started in The Golden Compass and continued in the Subtle Knife. Do I dare turn a wandering eye from The Historian? Would this be literary wanderlust?
Perhaps the first victim of my wandering reading was appropriately titled. My actions, seemingly innocent at first, now growing increasingly wanton, are prying apart my literary morals. I find myself starting down a spiral, the end of which would leave me in a place where books lay uncompleted, forgotten stories left hanging, endings undiscovered.
And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"
Time to turn back and descend the stair...
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse...
So how should I presume?
Labels: books

5 Comments: (Post a Comment)
And should I then presume?
And how should I begin?
I liked The Historian. You might enjoy if you stick with it, but it's not as easy to start and stop over and over. It doesn't really pick up pace wise, so if you aren't loving it now you might not ever love it. I just liked the descriptions of the different towns they went to. If you do read it, watch for the name of Helen's mom. They only say it once in the book and it has significance later. I didn't catch it and I don't feel like reading it again. If you finish, pass on the word!
I have affairs with several books at once. I almost never ready only one book at a time. If you can keep the strain of each plot separate, I whole-heartedly encourage your biblio hanky-panky.
I second Julie. I never have fewer than three books going at one time. At the moment, I have four.
Join the Great and Spacious Literary Crowd - it's much more fun in here. :)
I don't know if my head is wired for biblio polyamory. I like to submerge myself in a single world. What can I say, I'm male. We think linearly.
Post a Comment
<< Home