Saturday, August 04, 2007

Good Fare & Fare Thee Well

One of the hazards of attending family reunions that reach back four generations is that you get to know a lot of your extended family. Second and third cousins can become as familiar as firsts. As the number of relatives you meet increases, so does the chance that a few of them will be pretty cool. In my case, a lot of them.

That is why I will be attending the wedding of a third cousin next Saturday and why I spent this afternoon hanging out with a bunch of second cousins and one first cousin at a Cousins' Dinner. Cousins' Dinners originated when my older brothers were at BYU and would get together once a month with the family. The tradition has continued at BYU and now in the DC area. While we aren't as regular as the BYU crowd, we get together pretty regularly, cook an over-abundance of food, and enjoy in each others' company.

Today our dinner had a purpose and a theme. The later was southern food; the former, to bid farewell to Bryce, Lisa & Sophie (pictured at right). Bryce is starting graduate school in a few weeks and they will be moving from the area. We are so sad to see them go, especially as Clara loves playing with Sophie, I love swapping tales of Scouts with Bryce, and Lisa is so easy and so much fun to talk to. I wish they could stay.

Menu assignments were made by Chris and he and Kate hosted. It was the first time we'd been to their new townhouse (baby on the way, need more room, say what?). They are in a great location (I wish I lived there) and have done an amazing job decorating. The menu for the night included: BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, baked beans, cornbread, coleslaw, watermelon, and apple crisp a la mode. As always, we had food for a crowd three times the size and gorged ourselves. It was fun to see Baby Luke, he's now six weeks old, and to remember that Clara used to be that little. It seems so long ago. I miss it.

I took the camera to document the event, but none of the pictures of Steve, Kate, or Kristin turned out. Sorry, guys! Check out the ones I got.

Mary and Nicoli enjoying the corn

Jane

Bryce, Sophie, and I sharing the big chair

Sophie trying on Dad's shoes

The only picture of Luke, being held by his Uncle Bryce

Chris cleaning up

1 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Rain in My Head said...

So much fun to get together. Can't wait for the next one (although next time I will be way more careful to stay our of your camera's way so I don't end up in a picture on your blog looking loopy for the whole world to see :)). That was a long sentence. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home