Friday, August 03, 2007

Continuing on Friendship

In response to my blog post Friendship, a friend, who recently moved from the true Zion, DC, to that other Zion, Utah, posted a comment to which I wish to reply. The comment:
... The hardest thing about leaving Virginia was leaving the lifetime of friends I felt I had amassed over the 7+ years I was there. I wonder now if I'm too old to make more friendships like those.
I don't think you're ever too old. I sometimes wonder, though, if we get too tired, too set in our lives to make new friendships.

I'm in the process of building a few new friendships and have been reminded that it does indeed take work. Some people don't get my sarcasm until we've been around each another for a while. The necessary sifting and digging through our lives, until we find that common bond that will endure the test of time, covers us in a layer of dust, I think, to remind us that friendships are not something to be taken lightly. There will be times when we are grimy head-to-toe and a connection won't be made. Yet, there are still people in our lives to whom we have opened our hearts, and they theirs, with whom we can share great joys, great sorrows, great heartaches, and great delights.

In your case, Sara, I'd go with the tired. Have the baby then worry about meeting new people. You're too great a person not to be known.

Labels:

2 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I was just thinking about this today. Coincidence? I don't think so. We have been living in the DC area for a year, and 3K miles away from the real zion (California...yes, cheap shot, but it's better than the other Zion [Utah]), and I realized that I haven't really considered the life-long friends I could make post California (heck, even post mission, and it's been 10 years). It's amazing how easy it is to get into the way of thinking that your best friends came from your teenage years, while the rest of your life is still ahead of you.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I might just have to have the baby, then worry about meeting people, because I have reached the "any time now" point. *sigh* My greatest fear is becoming a hermit.

I agree with you though - friendship is work. And I am so, so tired right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home